I would also love to hear about your experiences and thoughts too.
MASSAGE IS GOOD MEDICINE – 5 Ways Massage Can Improve Your Health
1. Control stress
The long term effects of stress can take emotional and physical tolls. Massage therapy may relieve stress and conditions associated with it, such as tension headaches.
2. Get better sleep
Research indicates that massage can improve sleep in those with lower back pain, fibromyalgia, insomnia, pain and other health conditions.
3. Boost mental health and wellness
Research suggests that symptoms of stress, anxiety and depression (all associated with mental health) may be directly affected with massage therapy.
4. Manage Pain
Pain can negatively affect a person’s quality of life and impede recovery from illness or injury. Research shows massage can help low-back pain, headaches, Carpal Tunnel Syndrome and more.
5. Improve physical fitness
Elite and recreational athletes alike can benefit from massage therapy. Massage can help reduce muscle tension, improve exercise performance and prevent injuries.
SUNSHINE: Why the suns rays is good for us.
According to Professor Michael Holick, of Boston University School of Medicine, we get about 90-95 per cent of our vitamin D from the sun. He advises that we should go out in the sun without sunblock for between five and 15 minutes a day, at least three times a week in spring and summer, to boost our vitamin D levels.
Vitamin D is essential for absorbing calcium, keeping our bones healthy and for protecting against serious chronic diseases later in life such as osteoporosis, Type II diabetes, multiple sclerosis and many common cancers.
Some other reasons why sunlight is good for us:
- We feel happier and more energetic when the sun shines because it boosts our level of serotonin – the body’s natural happy hormone.
- The sun warms our body’s muscles, eases stiffness and helps reduce arthritic pain.
- Controlled sun exposure can also help with skin conditions such as psoriasis, acne and eczema.
- The sun encourages the production of white blood cells, which help to boost the immune system and fight infection.
- Women are more likely to conceive in summer because the sun reduces the levels of the hormone melatonin which suppresses fertility. For men the sun boosts their levels of testosterone, making summer the ideal time for baby-making.
NEVER overdo the sun, remember to cover up or apply sunblock after your initial vitamin D-boosting burst. Excessive exposure will increase the risk of skin cancer.
DID YOU KNOW…
Depending on how you divide up muscle groups, just to take a single step you use somewhere in the neighbourhood of 200 muscles. That’s a lot of work for the muscles considering most of us take about 10,000 steps a day.
INDIAN HEAD MASSAGE
Indian Head Massage is a fantastic treatment focusing on the head, neck and shoulders. When treating I use firm but gentle pressure and a variety of techniques to help relive aches, pain, stress and tension. There are a host of other benefits too, but you have to experience my Indian Head Massage to really appreciate what a great treatment it is. I guarantee, even after one session, you will feel lighter, calmer, relaxed and serene (words my clients have expressed after their treatment).